DropBox: Cloud service for storing, syncing, sharing files
I found Dropbox, a nifty service for storing files online, keeping their copies on several of your own computers in sync, or sharing some of them with your friends.
- You download the Dropbox client (supported on Windows XP and Vista (32 and 64-bit), Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard, as well as Ubuntu 7.10+ and Fedora Core 9+)
- 2GB of free storage provided with it
- You can then drag and drop files that you want to store online or share into the Dropbox.
- Dropbox maintains a snapshot of files
- If any of the files get updated, it sends only blocks that have changed
- It also offers the ability to undelete and restore files from the copies that are stored online.
- You can create Public folders for sharing, files in Public folders have URL’s that you can share with your friends.
While the company seems to be consumer-focused, the service is usable for dull and boring corporate stuff, like instantaneous automatic backups of files that change and also enables disaster recovery.